The all Black town now known as Taft started as the community of Twine, which had a post office by 1902. Taft, located eight miles west of Muskogee, in Muskogee County is one of more than fifty    All-Black towns of Oklahoma and one of only thirteen still existing.  The town name honored  William H . Twine who later moved and edited  the Muskogee Cimeter. In 1904 citizens named the town Taft in honor of then Secretary of War (later President} William Howard Taft. The settlement developed in the Creek Nation on land allotted to Creek freedmen.

Early in the town's history the citizens promoted their community throughout the South.  The Reaves Realty Company advertised Taft as the "fastest growing Colored community in Oklahoma. Taft had two newspapers,  the Enterprise and the Tribune.  The first mayor, Charlie Ford, owned Ford's Cotton Gin, and W . R. Grimmet operated a sawmill northwest of town.  Before 1910 the community supported three general stores, one drug store a, brickyard, a soda pop factory,  a livery stable, a gristmill, a lumber yard,  two hotels, a restaurant, bank, and a funeral home.

Education and  state-agency facilities have always been important economic activities.  Halochee Institute, founded in 1908, was the first of several educational institutes to locate there:  W. T. Vernon School (1908), the industrial institute for the Deaf, Blind and Orphans of the Colored Race (1909).  Moton High School, and the State Training School for Negro Girls followed Halochee.  In 1934 the  Taft State Hospital for the Negro insane was established.  The state later placed two state penitentiaries in Taft:  Dr. Eddie Warrior Correctional Center, for women, and Jess Dunn Correctional Center , for men.

From a population of 250 in 1907, Taft grew to 690 by 1937 and then slowly declined. By 1990 the population was four hundred.  Taft City Hall is listed in the National Register of Historic Places (NR 8 4003330).  The Reeder Walker House and St. Paul Baptist Church are listed in the Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory. In 1973 the town elected Lelia Foley-Davis as mayor, making her the first female African American mayor in the United States.

* Davis stepped down in 1989 but was reelected in 1999,  At the approach of the twenty-first century Taft exhibited a strong economy and a trend toward population growth.

(Info credit:  Larry O' Dell @ Oklahoma Historical Society)
The citizens of Taft first        elected Lelia Foley-Davis as mayor in 1973,  making her  the first female African American mayor in the United States.

Lelia Foley-Davis
1973-1989 and other terms thereafter. Currently serving as mayor (2012)
Welcome to the Town of Taft, Oklahoma 

Population:         400

Address:             P.O. Box 248, Taft, OK  74463

Phone:                (918) 683-0568

Mayor:                 Lela (Foley) Davis